Nee Delhi: The birthday of Indian freedom fighter and revolutionary leader Bhagat Singh is observed and celebrated on September 27. Its name is synonymous with the revolutionary movement which greatly contributed to the freedom of India.
Born in 1907, Singh will always be remembered for his enthusiasm and courage in speaking out against British rule. He also gave a new direction to the Indian freedom struggle through his ideas and his supreme sacrifice.
Lesser Known Facts about Bhagat Singh:
- During his college years, Singh participated in several plays, including Rana Pratap and Bharat-Durdasha. He was also appreciated for his acting skills.
- There was a time when Bhagat Singh’s parents wanted him to marry and settle down in life, but he fled to Kanpur.
- When Bhagat Singh was in prison, he fasted 116 days. Although he was quick, he used to do his daily chores like reading, writing books, visiting the courthouse every day, and even singing.
- The popular patriotic slogan “Inquilab Zindabad” was coined by Singh, which later became the calling of the freedom movement.
- When Bhagat Singh’s mother went to visit him in prison, he was thought to be laughing out loud. Everyone around him was shocked. Most of them considered him to be near death.
- On the day of his execution, which is March 23, 1931, Bhagat Singh was hanged an hour before the official time. Reports suggest the revolutionary leader was smiling at the time of the hanging.