Prince Andrew challenges court’s jurisdiction in lawsuit


Britain’s Prince Andrew plans to challenge the jurisdiction of a US court over a civil lawsuit brought by a woman who accused him of sexually assaulting and beating her two decades ago, according to a case filed today by the court.

In the case filed in Manhattan U.S. District Court, an attorney for Andrew said the prince also plans to challenge the fact that he was properly served with the trial by Virginia Giuffre, who said she also had been abused by financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Lawyers for Ms Giuffre did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Prince Andrew, 61, is one of the most prominent people linked to Epstein, whom US prosecutors accused in July 2019 of sexually exploiting dozens of girls and women.

Epstein, a registered sex offender, committed suicide at the age of 66 in a Manhattan prison on August 10, 2019.

Ms Giuffre accused Andrew of forcing her in 2001, when she was 17, to have unwanted sex at the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell, the British socialite and longtime partner of Epstein.

Ms Giuffre also said Prince Andrew abused her at Epstein’s mansion on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and on a private island owned by Epstein in the US Virgin Islands.

Prince Andrew has denied allegations of Giuffre’s sexual abuse.


Thelma J. Longworth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.