Learning through play
Money cut out of paper and carefully prepared website with goods – it’s a good start to play in the store, and by the way education. Your toddler will learn that each product has a specific value. For this, practice counting and spending money.
Cash management can also be learned through board games (e.g. Monopoly) or economic computer games. Games for children can be found on the website of the National Bank of Poland. It is also worth visiting websites for children in search of interesting proposals.
Pocket money – the first lesson to save
Many parents are reluctant to entrust cash to children. This is a mistake. Pocket money is a foundation in financial education. Thanks to him, our toddler learns how to manage money and learns their value. The main thing is to make him aware that pocket money is not an end in itself, but a means to realize his little dreams. It is good to start with lower amounts, for example, given once a week. For cleaning the room or good grades it is worth adding something extra. It will be a good motivation, both for learning and performing household duties.
Let’s just remember one thing. Let’s not control the child’s expenses. Let him learn from his mistakes. Excessive interference can discourage children from managing their money independently and effectively.
Difficult words: credit card, credit, online payday loan
A TNS study showed that as many as 92% of us think that early financial education can help in everyday life. Every third person is of the opinion that a child should learn the basics of responsible expenditure management already in primary school.
Lack of financial education means that the child does not know the value of money and cannot manage it rationally. So let’s go shopping with our kids, and even to the bank. Explaining how fast credit online works is not that complicated. It is important for your child to understand that, for example, a quick loan over the Internet is not a bad thing, but it comes with specific costs that you need to be aware of.
7 COMMANDS OF CHILDREN’S FINANCIAL EDUCATION
- The piggy bank teaches patience and savings
- Shopping together with your child is essential, and before them – make a list of things to buy with your child
- Instead of a few chocolates, you can buy a lego set. Teach your child that saving on small pleasures will help you realize your dream
- Teach your child how to save water, electricity and food. Set a good example!
- Pocket money is the basis of financial education!
- In a simple way, explain to kids what is a credit card, credit, debt, loan, payday loan, etc.
- Get your child involved in housework. As a reward, add something extra to your pocket money. This is the easiest method to show that you have to earn money.